Changemakers for a new tomorrow
The Bavarian International School (BIS) is a community of more than 1,200 learners and 180 education leaders, working together to bring out the best in young people from over 60 nations, all within a caring and international environment.
Marko Mädge, Head of Communications & Public Affairs, Bavarian International School
A caring, international community
BIS is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, spanning two campuses in Munich-Schwabing and Haimhausen, where talented, globally-focused educators care for students ages three to 19. BIS is a private, non-profit, all-day school which ranks among the best international schools in Germany and in Europe (IB Diploma score average at BIS in 2022: 36 points, equivalent to 2.0 in the German Abitur; world average: 32; 2021: 37 points).
In addition, BIS is the only international school in Germany offering all four IB programmes (PYP, MYP, DP, CP).
About 75% of BIS students come from international families, with the other 25% of students coming from local Munich families. One of the school’s strengths is its connected, intercultural community which is continuously developing through a spirit of caring and inclusion. English is the language of instruction at both campuses, with 21 other languages offered.
“The children and young people are just happy at BIS,” says Dr Chrissie Sorenson, Head of School. “This positive spirit immediately inspires new families and visitors.”
The caring culture at BIS is further defined by additional guidance for students at every turn: language and learning support, mentors, school counsellors, and university and career counsellors. Students are encouraged to develop themselves outside of the classroom, by taking part in one of 80 afterschool activities. These include drama, music, engineering, multimedia, athletics, as well as some signature programmes, such as the Model United Nations, the Duke of Edinburgh International Award, and the Eco School project.
Educational technology has been an integral component of the learning philosophy at BIS for nearly 20 years. From Early Childhood to Grade 3, we work with iPads as class sets; in Grades 4 and 5, each student receives an iPad from BIS; in the Secondary School from Grade 6, the “bring your own device” (BYOD) program applies.
The combination of digitally-savvy teachers and the IT team and helpdesk team underlines BIS as a digital pioneer. In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, the knowledge and technological advantage at BIS enabled the school to switch smoothly from in-person instruction to distance and hybrid teaching, without missing a day of lessons.
The school of the future – today
In 2021, BIS celebrated its 30th anniversary. The next chapter will include the funding and building of the new Creativity and Innovation Centre (CIC).
Building on the foundation of its 30-year tradition, BIS is actively shaping the future of learning with plans for this new heart of the Haimhausen campus. The building will offer open, flexible and interdisciplinary learning spaces for around 750 students. The pedagogical design focus of the space will be “STEAM” (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Maths). The new 25 million Euro innovation centre underscores BIS’s claim to be the school of the future – today.
Facts and figures
Locations: Munich and Haimhausen, Bavaria (Germany)
Founded: 1991 (30 years of BIS in 2021)
Type of School: International School (International Baccalaureate World
School), only international school in Germany offering all four
IB programmes (PYP, MYP, DP, CP);
non-profit organisation, private and all-day school from
Kindergarten to Secondary School (from age 3 to 19)
Students: 1,200 from more than 60 nations
Teachers: 180 from more than 30 nations
- Academic excellence (BIS IB Diploma average score in 2022:
36, 32 is the global average score, 36 is equivalent to 2.0 Abitur
grade)- 21 languages offered
- Technological expertise: 1:1 programmes and class sets in
the Primary School, “Bring your own device” programme in the
Secondary School, Educational Tech teachers, Helpdesk and IT
- Extensive extracurricular programme
(80 After School Activities per week)
- Counselling, wellbeing and learning support programmes
- Career and university counselling
- School bus transportation at both campuses
- School catering by Organic Garden
Whether you are looking for the best boarding schools in India, online schools or researching international and private school fees, make sure to check out our latest Guide to International Education and Schools